Canadian Tire Triangle® Mastercard® Review
The Canadian Tire Triangle® Mastercard® is a popular retail co-branded credit card in Canada that offers a wide range of benefits and perks, particularly for those who frequently shop at Canadian Tire, Sport Chek, Atmosphere, and other affiliated stores. With no annual fee and the ability to collect Canadian Tire Money® on everyday purchases, this card has become a staple in the wallets of many Canadians. In this review, we’ll explore the features, benefits, and potential drawbacks of the Canadian Tire Triangle® Mastercard® to help you determine whether it’s the right fit for you.
Earning Potential and Rewards
The Canadian Tire Triangle® Mastercard® allows cardholders to earn Canadian Tire Money® on their everyday purchases, which can be redeemed at Canadian Tire stores, Sport Chek, Atmosphere, and other participating retailers. Cardholders can earn:
- 4% back in Canadian Tire Money® on eligible purchases at Canadian Tire, Sport Chek, Atmosphere, and other participating stores
- 1.5% back in Canadian Tire Money® on grocery purchases (excluding Walmart and Costco)
- 0.5% back in Canadian Tire Money® on all other purchases
It’s important to note that the 1.5% back on groceries is capped at $12,000 in annual spending, after which the rate drops to the standard 0.5% on groceries. This rewards structure is particularly advantageous for those who frequently shop at Canadian Tire and its partner stores. However, if you don’t spend much at these retailers, the earning potential may not be as lucrative compared to other cashback or rewards credit cards.
No-Fee Credit Card
One of the most appealing features of the Canadian Tire Triangle® Mastercard® is the absence of an annual fee, making it accessible for a wide range of consumers. This feature allows cardholders to enjoy the benefits and rewards without worrying about offsetting the cost of an annual fee, which is a significant advantage for budget-conscious consumers.
Perks and Benefits
The Canadian Tire Triangle® Mastercard® offers additional benefits beyond its rewards structure, including:
- No-Fee, No-Interest Financing: Cardholders can take advantage of no-fee, no-interest financing on qualifying purchases of $200 or more at Canadian Tire, Sport Chek, and participating Mark’s/L’Équipeur and Atmosphere stores. This financing option allows for equal monthly payments over a specified period, making it easier to budget for larger purchases.
- Roadside Assistance: The Canadian Tire Triangle® Mastercard® includes a basic Canadian Tire Roadside Assistance Gold Plan membership at no additional cost. This plan covers towing up to 250 km, flat tire changes, battery boosts, lockout services, and more.
- Exclusive Events and Offers: Cardholders have access to exclusive events and offers from Canadian Tire and its affiliated stores, giving them opportunities to save even more on their purchases.
While the Canadian Tire Triangle® Mastercard® offers many benefits, there are a few drawbacks to consider:
- Limited Redemption Options: The rewards earned with this card are in the form of Canadian Tire Money®, which can only be redeemed at Canadian Tire and its partner stores. This limits the flexibility of the rewards compared to other cashback or points-based credit cards that offer a wider range of redemption options.
- Low Rewards Rate on Non-Affiliated Purchases: The 0.5% back on all other purchases is relatively low compared to other cashback or rewards credit cards. If a significant portion of your spending is outside of Canadian Tire and its partner stores, you may find more value in a different card with a higher rewards rate on general purchases.
- Grocery Rewards Cap: The 1.5% back on grocery purchases is capped at $12,000 in annual spending, which may be limiting for those with larger grocery budgets. After reaching the cap, the rewards rate drops to the standard 0.5% on groceries, which is less competitive compared to other credit cards focused on grocery rewards.
- No Travel Benefits: The Canadian Tire Triangle® Mastercard® does not offer travel benefits or insurance coverage, which may be a drawback for frequent travelers who seek comprehensive travel protection and rewards.
The Canadian Tire Triangle® Mastercard® is an excellent choice for consumers who regularly shop at Canadian Tire, Sport Chek, Atmosphere, and other affiliated stores, offering a generous 4% back in Canadian Tire Money® on eligible purchases. The card’s no-fee, no-interest financing, complimentary roadside assistance, and exclusive events and offers add to its appeal.
However, the limited redemption options, lower rewards rate on non-affiliated purchases, grocery rewards cap, and lack of travel benefits may be limiting factors for some consumers. If your spending habits align with the rewards structure and you value the additional benefits offered, the Canadian Tire Triangle® Mastercard® could be a great addition to your wallet. On the other hand, if you’re looking for more flexibility in rewards redemption, a higher rewards rate on general purchases, or comprehensive travel benefits, you may want to explore other credit card options that better suit your needs.
Ultimately, the decision to apply for the Canadian Tire Triangle® Mastercard® will depend on your individual spending habits and priorities. By carefully considering the card’s features, benefits, and potential drawbacks, you can make an informed decision about whether this card is the right fit for you.
Finances.ca Earns Commissions From Some Products, See Our Disclaimer For Information.