The Scotiabank Platinum AMEX is a desirable choice for anyone who wants a high end credit card with one of the fastest ways to gain bonus points on everyday purchases. With the Platinum AMEX card, you will be getting 4 Scotia Rewards points on every dollar you spend on eligible grocery, gas, dining and entertainment purchases. You can travel with peace of mind being backed with seven types of insurance coverage while away from home, as well as shop with confidence with two types of insurance for extended warranty and price protection on purchases.
Main Perks & Benefits of the Scotiabank Platinum AMEX
With this credit card, you are getting a premium experience with some of the best perks in the industry. If you are looking for extensive travel insurance and luxury travel privileges, then look no further. This AMEX has a unique feature many travel cards do not have. You can book and redeem travel anywhere, anytime with no travel restrictions.
- Earn 4 Scotia Rewards points on every dollar spent on qualifying gas, grocery, dining and entertainment purchases
- Earn 1 Scotia Rewards point on every dollar spent on all other purchases
- Use Scotia Rewards points to book travel or purchase merchandise
- Convert Scotia Points to SCENE points
- Access premium concierge services
- Complimentary Priority Pass allowing you to access airport lounges around the globe for free fourteen times each year
- Enjoy American Express lucrative offers and Scotiabank special perks
- Become a Hertz #1 Club Gold Member
- Purchase security, extended warranty and price protection services
Fees & Welcome Bonus for Scotiabank Platinum AMEX
The fee for the Scotiabank Platinum AMEX is $399 per year. Supplementary cards cost an additional $99 per year for each card. These fees may seem to be higher than the average card’s cost, but if you are able to utilize the full benefits of this credit card, you’ll earn back the money you spent on it.
As a welcome bonus, you will get 30,000 Scotia Rewards points when you make your first purchase within two months of opening the account. This welcome bonus is worth roughly $300.
Redeeming Scotia Rewards Points
Redeeming your points for travel is easy, simply contact Scotia Rewards Travel Service who will handle all aspects of your booking. They offer a full service booking experience so you can avoid the hassle of a travel agency.
If you do not wish to use your points for travel, Scotia Rewards points can be converted into SCENE points, and vice versa. Alternatively, you can use your points to purchase merchandise instead by shopping the Scotia Rewards catalogue. You can also apply for a statement credit using your points.
Scotiabank Platinum AMEX Travel Insurance
You will never feel the need to get additional coverage when you book and travel with this credit card because there are seven different types of coverage. You will get the below coverage regardless of factors such as time of year or credit limit on the card.
- Travel Emergency Medical Insurance – coverage for individuals under the age of 65 for the first 31 consecutive days and coverage for individuals over the age of 65 for up to 10 consecutive days
- Trip Cancellation/Trip Interruption Insurance – protection for your travel purchases in the event that the trip is cancelled or interrupted, charge at least 75% of the total trip cost to your card to be eligible
- Flight Delay Insurance – receive reimbursement for necessary expenses such as hotels, meals and other items resulting from flight delay, charge at least 75% of the total trip cost to your card to be eligible
- Rental Car Collision Loss/Damage Insurance – charge the full rental cost to your card and you’re insured if the vehicle is stolen or damaged
- Delayed and Lost Baggage Insurance – charge the full cost of your commuting tickets to your card and you’re covered if luggage is delayed or lost
- Travel Accident Insurance – insured for accidental loss of life or dismemberment, charge at least 75% of the total trip cost to your card to be eligible
- Hotel/Motel Burglary Insurance – pay for hotel or motel accommodations and you’re covered
One of the only stipulations with this card is that you must charge at least 75% of the full travel cost to your AMEX to be eligible for insurance coverage.
Scotiabank Platinum AMEX FAQ
What are the Scotiabank Platinum AMEX approval requirements?
Scotiabank will likely consider your credit and other aspects of your personal finances during the application process. There is also a minimum personal income requirement of $12,000. However, Scotiabank doesn’t have any other public information about other requirements to obtain this card.
What is the credit limit of the Scotiabank Platinum AMEX?
The Scotiabank Platinum AMEX doesn’t have a minimum or maximum credit limit. The credit limit you receive will be based on your credit report and application.
Can I transfer Scotia points to airlines?
Currently, there is no direct partnership to transfer points to an airline. However, Scotiabank provides several options to redeem your points for travel. In addition, there are exceptional travel deals for airfare.
Is the Scotiabank Platinum AMEX worth it?
If you are an avid traveler who likes the added peace of mind that you will be covered in the event of an emergency when not at home, this is the perfect card for you. To get the full benefits of the card and make it worth your while, one of the biggest perks to take advantage of are the lounge visits which has a value of roughly $580. There are other benefits with the card that will help you recover the annual cost as well.
Overall, the Scotiabank Platinum AMEX is a great deal. However, before making a decision to proceed, you need to assess your finances and whether this card will work for you.