The Marriott Bonvoy American Express Card is an optimal choice for frequent travellers who enjoy luxury experiences. There is an option to redeem points for other perks, but the greatest value comes from travel. The annual fee is quite high, but the potential earnings and benefits make up for the cost. To learn more about the Bonvoy program and this partner AMEX card, consider the complete review below.
Main Perks & Benefits of the Amex Bonvoy Credit Card
As the name implies, the Marriott Bonvoy card is designed for routine travellers and those who enjoy Marriott hotels and services. Below is a list of all the perks that come with this credit card:
- Earn 5 points for every dollar spent on Marriott Bonvoy purchases
- Earn 2 points for every dollar spent on other purchases
- Redeem points for free hotel stays with no blackout dates and over 7,000 locations
- Receive an Annual Free Night Award on the anniversary of your card ownership every year
- Obtain complimentary Marriott Bonvoy Silver Elite status
- If you spend $30,000 in a year, obtain an automatic upgrade to Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status
- Receive 15 Elite Night Credits each calendar year
- Earn up to 10,000 points through referral bonuses by recommending friends
- Receive 15,000 points when you transfer 60,000 points to a frequent flyer program
- Access to American Express Invites including Front of the Line programs
- 24/7 customer service, emergency card replacement and fraud protection
American Express Bonvoy Fees & Welcome Bonus
The annual fee for this credit card is $120. Additional cards have no extra cost. Interest on purchases is 19.99% and 21.99% for cash advances. The interest rates increase to 23.99% and 26.99% respectively if you have missed payments on your account.
The welcome bonus is 50,000 Marriott Bonvoy points. To obtain the bonus offer, you must spend $1,500 using your new credit card within the first 3 months of card ownership. The value of the welcome offer is roughly $585.
Redeeming Bonvoy Points
The Marriott Bonvoy program allows users to redeem points for a variety of experiences and merchandise in addition to hotel stays. Once you have enough points, you can redeem them in the following ways:
- Hotel visits. Use points for free stays and room upgrades. Choose from over 7,000 locations worldwide.
- Purchase flights from an array of airlines. There are no blackout dates.
- Use your points to buy cruises when you book through Cruise with Points.
- Car rentals. Buy car rentals with no blackout dates.
- Travel packages. Hotel and flight packages are available for purchase with your points.
- TSA PreCheck and Priority Pass. Use your points to fast track security lineups and avoid airport delays.
- Purchase unique experiences using your points including culinary, music, sports, lifestyle and travel.
- Shop from Marriott Bonvoy’s catalogue using your points.
Since the Marriott Bonvoy American Express Card is travel based, it comes with plenty of travel insurance allowing you to enjoy your vacations with ease. Remember that your travel expenditures usually need to be paid for using your credit card to be eligible for coverage. Below is a list of all the insurance coverage that comes with this credit card:
- Travel Emergency Assistance. Out-of-town worldwide emergency medical assistance services and legal referrals. Available by telephone at any time.
- Travel Accident Insurance. Receive up to $500,000 in the event of accidental death and dismemberment.
- Car Rental Theft and Damage Insurance. Coverage for theft, loss and damage to your rental car with a MSRP of up to $85,000 for rentals of 48 days or less. In order to be eligible, you must decline insurance offered by the car rental provider.
- Flight Delay Insurance. Receive up to $500 in coverage (combined with Baggage Delay Insurance) for reasonable and required accommodations, sundry items and meal expenses within 48 hours of the delayed flight or denied boarding of 4 hours or more. Coverage is only available if no alternate transportation is made available to you.
- Baggage Delay Insurance. Receive up to $500 in coverage (combined with Flight Delay Insurance) for reasonable and required emergency purchases for essential clothing and sundry items purchased within 4 days of your arrival at your destination. Baggage must be delayed for 6 hours or more for coverage to be applicable.
- Lost or Stolen Baggage Insurance. Coverage for loss or damage to your checked or carry on baggage up to a maximum of $500 per trip for all insured people.
- Hotel Burglar Insurance. Receive up to $500 in coverage for the loss of most personal items, excluding cash, when your accommodation area is burglarized.
- Manufacturer’s Warranty Extension. Automatically extend manufacturer’s warranty for up to one year.
Marriott Bonvoy American Express Card FAQs
What are the Bonvoy AMEX Card approval requirements?
In order to be eligible for the Marriott Bonvoy AMEX card, you must be a Canadian resident, have a Canadian credit file and be the age of majority in your province or territory. Ideally, you should have decent credit to be approved. There are no minimum income requirements, you simply need to be able to afford the annual fee of $120.
What is the credit limit of the Bonvoy AMEX Card?
There is no minimum or maximum credit limit posted on the American Express website. Your credit limit will be determined after your credit file is assessed. Keep in mind that the Bonvoy AMEX card is a regular credit card, not a charge card.
Can I transfer Bonvoy points to airlines?
Yes, it is possible to transfer Bonvoy points to eligible frequent flyer and other loyalty programs. Air Canada Aeroplan, InterMiles, American Airlines AAdvantage, Delta SkyMiles and Avianca LifeMiles are a few of the many compatible programs.
Is the Bonvoy AMEX Card worth it?
Avid travellers will benefit from the Marriott Bonvoy AMEX credit card. Others can get use out of the program through experiences and shopping too, but the value is much less. Be sure to consider your unique financial position, goals and lifestyle before determining if this card is right for you.