Best Student Bank Accounts Canada
Managing finances is an essential part of student life, and having the right bank account can help make it a smoother experience. Whether you’re a high school graduate heading off to college or an international student moving to Canada for higher education, a student bank account should be on your list of must-haves. In this article, we will explore the best student bank accounts available in Canada, considering factors like fees, benefits, and services, to help you make an informed decision.
- Scotiabank Student Banking Advantage Plan
Scotiabank’s Student Banking Advantage Plan is a popular choice among Canadian students for its simplicity and low fees. The account offers unlimited transactions, including Interac e-Transfers®, debit purchases, and bill payments, all without any monthly fees. Students also receive a SCENE or Scotia Rewards card, allowing them to earn points on everyday purchases and redeem them for various rewards like movies, merchandise, and travel. Additionally, students can take advantage of the free Scotia International Money Transfer service, making it easier to send money abroad without incurring extra fees.
- RBC Student Banking Account
The Royal Bank of Canada (RBC) offers its Student Banking Account as a comprehensive solution for students. This account includes 25 free transactions per month, with a fee of $1 per transaction thereafter. RBC covers all Interac e-Transfer fees, which can save students money when sending funds to friends and family. To help students build their credit, RBC offers a no-annual-fee student credit card with cashback rewards. International students can also benefit from the RBC Newcomer Advantage, which includes a free banking package for 12 months and access to credit solutions without a credit history.
- CIBC Smart™ for Students Account
The Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce (CIBC) offers the CIBC Smart™ for Students Account, an attractive option for those seeking free banking with a range of benefits. With this account, students enjoy unlimited transactions and free Interac e-Transfers without any monthly fees. CIBC also provides a free SPC membership, granting discounts at various retailers and restaurants. To help students manage their finances, CIBC offers a user-friendly mobile app with a spending tracker, savings goal feature, and credit score monitoring. International students benefit from a simplified account opening process and no monthly fees for the first year.
- TD Student Chequing Account
TD Bank’s Student Chequing Account provides a straightforward banking solution for students. With this account, students receive 25 free transactions per month, with a fee of $1.25 per transaction after the limit. TD waives the monthly fee for students and includes unlimited free Interac e-Transfers. To help students save, TD offers a free Savings Account with a competitive interest rate. For those looking to build credit, TD provides a no-annual-fee student credit card with cashback rewards. International students are eligible for the TD New to Canada Banking Package, which includes 6 months of free banking and access to credit solutions without a credit history.
- BMO Student Chequing Account
Bank of Montreal (BMO) offers a Student Chequing Account tailored for students seeking simplicity and convenience. This account includes unlimited transactions and free Interac e-Transfers, with no monthly fees. BMO provides a free SPC membership, offering discounts at various retailers and restaurants. Students also have access to a no-annual-fee student credit card with cashback rewards. For international students, BMO offers the Newcomer to Canada Program, which includes 12 months of free banking and access to credit solutions without a credit history.
Selecting the best student bank account in Canada depends on your individual needs and preferences. Consider factors such as transaction limits, monthly fees, additional benefits, and accessibility when making your decision. Each of the accounts mentioned in this article offers unique advantages tailored to student needs:
- Scotiabank Student Banking Advantage Plan: Unlimited transactions and a rewards program make this a great option for students who make frequent transactions and want to earn rewards on their spending.
- RBC Student Banking Account: With a comprehensive package that includes credit-building solutions and benefits for international students, this account is ideal for students looking for a well-rounded banking experience.
- CIBC Smart for Students Account: A combination of unlimited transactions, free SPC membership, and a user-friendly mobile app makes this account appealing for students seeking convenience and discounts on their everyday purchases.
- TD Student Chequing Account: The competitive interest rate on the included Savings Account and the credit-building options make this account an attractive choice for students focused on saving and building their credit.
- BMO Student Chequing Account: With unlimited transactions, an SPC membership, and a newcomer program for international students, this account offers a balanced banking experience for students seeking simplicity and convenience.
Remember that banks often update their offers and services, so it’s essential to research and compare the most current information before making your decision. By choosing the best student bank account tailored to your needs, you can effectively manage your finances and focus on your education without any unnecessary financial stress.
Finances.ca Earns Commissions From Some Products, See Our Disclaimer For Information.